Friday, August 29, 2008

Tongue Thai’ed

Growing up I ate from the 4 major food groups; Chicken, Hamburger, Spaghetti, and cheese. I didn't venture much from those staples until I started working in a restaurant. Quickly, I found that vegetables and sauces and seafood all blended together to make some fantastic meals. I was hooked. Through college, I played around the variety of cuisines they offered at the dining hall, and always craved some of the spicier foods. I wasn't the kid gnawing on jalapenos, but spicy definitely made foods much more interesting.

Since then, I've branched further out into all kinds of cuisines. Indian, Ethiopian, Middle Eastern, and especially, Thai. (not to mention weekly servings of Sushi, Mexican, and others...) The spices would make my mouth hot, my tongue red, and my head sweat, but I loved the food and the flavor that came with it. I used to laugh at my father who likes his chicken plain, his steak well cooked, and his plate free of anything green. His tolerance for anything spicy was non-existent. If there was any sort of pepper than came near his plate, he was flicking it off with his fork...

Fast forward a few years now, and I'm still enjoying my weekly doses of ethnic foods. Tonight for example, I stopped in at the local Thai restaurant and enjoyed some great spring rolls and a hunan beef dish. However, MY tolerance for spicy food has definitely changed. What I used to think was plain, now has the slightest kick. What I considered spicy is now making my head sweat. What I used to throw down with a bit of the sweats is now so unbearable, that I can't eat it anymore. This, my friends, is a tragedy! I was out with a friend earlier in the winter enjoy some pretty spicy Indian food, and I literally had to walk outside in the snow in order to cool down. So much sweat was coming down my face, that people must have thought I ran to the restaurant. It was, ridiculous...

My dinner tonight was very mild, no little stars next to the description, no questions about "heat" from the waiter. It was just mild, and it was delicious. I miss the spicy stuff, but I'm afraid that I don't think my palette can handle it anymore. Maybe it's just a phase, maybe I need to build up a tolerance for it again... Or, maybe I'm just turning more into my father. Time will tell.

BEN

No comments: