Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Movin' Out

Being an engineer, I like to research the products I may purchase and the services I may use. And, I research exhaustively, until the stuff is usually out of date, or the service is no longer available. I guess that keeps me from buying anything... :) It's a general "analness" that I seem to posess, along with most other engineers.

Sometimes I just don't have the time, or enough information to do the research. Maybe it's a new product that doesn't have a whole lot of history. Maybe it's old, and has too much history. Or, maybe I just don't have the time to sit and compare every last option. At that point I need to trust my gut, and go with what feels right. My gut, thankfully is hardly ever wrong.

So, last week I had the challenge of finding a moving company to bring my furniture back from CT, to Providence. A quick look on Google pointed me to dozens of companies in CT and RI area. Many have websites, and most are members of the Better Business Bureau. A few phone calls and emails later, and I had some moving quotes in front of me.

A few friends asked why Im even hiring a moving company. Why can't I have friends help me. Why not just rent a UHaul... The questions kept coming until I explained the massive amount of furniture, sporting gear (4 bikes alone!), and stuff I needed to move. They quickly agreed with my "professional" route.

So, quotes ranged from 100 per hour, to flat rates over 2 grand. Clearly, many of these quotes were based on an overestimate of my stuff. Others seemed like a bunch of college kids with daddys pickup truck. SO, I chose one in the middle. These guys had a decent website with plenty of pictures of their vehicles, a good description of their services and rates, as well as a whole page full of references and referrals. We emailed back and forth about dates and times, and I confirmed the date over the phone with their scheduler. 3 guys, a 30 ft truck, and a good hourly rate. My gut felt pretty good, and I wouldn't have to lift a finger!

It's now noon, and im sitting in my car in the storage parking lot. The truck was supposed to be here two hrs ago, with 3 men and directions back to Providence. My stuff is exactly where I left it, and its doubtful that its going to get moved anytime soon. After a call to the moving company, my gut was turned inside out. No, they didn't "forget" me, they claim they're never heard of me. Ben... Ben Piecuch... No? I even got on the phone with the guy who scheduled the date. "PIecuch, doesn't ring a bell..." They offered to do the move tomorrow, I hung up the phone.

I called a couple places here in CT, and found a company willing to help me out, if they can. I'm waiting for the guy to show so that he can quote the job. They'd be able to pack tonight, but can't deliver until tomorrow. It's better than nothing. My gut tells me this might actually work out. But my gut, unfortunately, has been wrong before.

I'm a true believer in "character building" events. This happens to be another one of those times when I can learn from a mistake and vow never to let it happen again. I didn't lose any money, I just lost a lot of time and gained a lot of frustration. I have only this advice... Get it in writing, and find a service that takes deposits. They'll be a little more motivated with some money, and a legal document over their heads. Time to get movin, my gut is getting hungry...

BEN

No comments: