Friday, August 15, 2008

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long...

Hey, look who finally showed up! Oh yeah, that's me. I guess I've been pretty delinquent with this for a while. And, I think I have a valid excuse... I was kidnapped. Okay, okay... my phone died. No? How about, I was moving and in a long distance relationship and myspace just really doesn't compare with Facebook anymore. (?) That's more like it.

I realized that when I'm in a relationship, I have someone to talk to, someone to let all my emotions out to, and someone to tell me stupid stories to. My last relationship lasted about 7 months, about the same amount of time that I've been negligent with this blog. Coincidence? I think not. I like to talk about my day, the little insignificant details of my life that seem to make each day different and special. And when my phone is no longer ringing, when my inbox is empty (short of airfare deals and ads for penis enlargers) I need to find an outlet to tell my stories. Hence, this blog.

SO much has happened in the past 7 months. Hell, so much has happened in the past 7 days. I won't recap it all now, most of it will be saved for the 2008 recap. But, I will talk about this week, this weekend, and what's coming up over the next month.

This week I finally signed the lease on my new apartment. I've been subletting for the past 3 months, and the 3 months before that. During that time, I haven't slept in my own bed, sat on my own couch, or eaten off my own plates. Come September 1st, I move into my own apartment on the East Side of Providence, where I'll be sharing a 2 bedroom, 1 bath + garage (!) apartment with, myself. I'll finally have a place where I can move my stuff into, where I can "make it my own" and feel as though I've officially moved to Providence. While it's such a small step in the whole scheme of things, it will put the stamp on my "renewal" here in Providence. I don't think my excitement comes across enough, but I'm totally psyched!

This weekend I'm traveling to New Hampshire, to visit with my friends Marvin and Kelly. I'll spend about 24 hours with them, and we'll entertain ourselves with our usual debauchery. However, I'm in the middle of my 1/2 marathon training, so Marv and I are going for a nice long run. (Well, he'll be biking, I'll be running.) Other than some drunken sprints down Space Center Blvd, I think this will be our first athletic endeavor together. I find that hard to believe, since we've known each other for about a decade, and we both work out fairly regularly. Oh, now I remember, we actually skied together, once. We need to change that...

After my brief visit with the lovely couple, my company is holding it's employee picnic at a local amusement park. The park is pretty small, and is easily overshadowed by a 6 Flags, and even my old local park, Lake Compounce. This place offers your typical Carni rides; the Scambler, the Ferris Wheel, and all the various iterations of tea cups, bumper cars, and horsie rides. I joke about the rides here, but they do actually have some "roller coasters." Okay, they're not the mega-coasters of Cedar Point or Universal Studios, but it still raises the question. Since having my pacemaker installed, will I go against the advice of my doctor and ride a roller coaster? I was given the blanket statement of "no roller coasters" but wasn't given a convincing reason. Just, "to be on the safe side." I love roller coasters, they push my fear of heights, they give me an incredible rush, and I rarely get to feel so much like a kid at the parks. But I haven't made up my mind yet. Maybe I'll see what the coasters are like, and make my decision once I see how tame they are. Maybe I'll just say screw it and go on them no matter one. Maybe it'll be raining and I wouldn't go on them anyways... I guess you'll have to wait until my next entry to find out.

Finally, I want to talk about the Olympics. They have been, AMAZING! From the upstopable Michael Phelps, to the Gold/Silver Duo in Women's Gymnastics, to the 1st days of the track events, I have never been more engrossed in the sports, the people, and the drama. The US Team has been performing unbelievably, and while I had my doubts about some of their abilities, they have all just blown me away. Stay tuned for more reports, 'cause there's only been one track final, and the US has already pulled a huge upset. More to come folks!

It's raining, it's dark, and the Olympics are on, I'm heading back to the couch. Welcome back!

No comments: