I love cheese. Cheese on my burgers, cheese in my eggs, cheese on my cheese. So when a friend suggested that we make fondue, I was all over it! I’ve never made fondue before, so I had no idea what actually goes into it. The sheer amount of cheese is quite overwhelming, we’re not talkin ounces here, we’re talkin pounds! Add a fair amount of dry white wine, garlic and lemon juice, and you’re on your way. The cheese can be anything you want, really. We happened to use three kinds, Swiss, Jarlsberg, and Gruyere (I know, that’s not even close to the correct spelling...) They added a bit of punch and flavor, to go with the fairly bland french bread, vegetables, and cooked beef. The preparation is fairly simple, though I did have to create my own double boiler setup with a medium sized pot and a Pyrex mixing bowl. I thoroughly enjoyed dipping my food into the big vat of melted, gooey, cheesy goodness. The twirling of the sticks in order to adequately cook the food was interesting too. But honestly, that was a LOT of cheese, even for me. And, I’m not sure if it was the crappy white wine or the cheese itself, but I wasn’t feeling so chippy after the meal either. But, it was a fun culinary experience and I’d like to try it again. Maybe I’ll just stick to the chocolate fondue instead.
Happy eats!

No comments:
Post a Comment