Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Another first, or two...

After my experience with Fondue, I couldn’t but to continue my streak of firsts. I had a couple ’first’ experiences over the past few days These experiences weren’t exactly ground breaking, nor were they high on my list of things to do. But, they happened anyways, and now I get to tell you about them.

Sunday I visited with a couple great friends who just gave birth to their first baby. Their little girl Sophie has her mothers’ beautiful eyes, and her fathers’ distinctive nose, and is so calm and quiet. Sophie is about a month old, and has already grown so much from her birth weight. I was asked if I wanted to hold her, and facial expression must have given them the answer. But, I did want to hold her, and see if I have any paternal instincts at all. See, when my sister was born, I was just 15 years old. The thought of having a little sister, never mind a 6lb child in my hands, was a little unnerving. It’s been 16 years since any of my friends had a kid, so I enjoyed the chance to hold one again.The experience wasn’t horrible at all. But, While I wasn’t a complete klutz, I certainly don’t have those "give me that baby!" instincts. I enjoyed the experience, and someday I’ll be the first to jump at the opportunity (with my own child.) But I guess I’m still not ready to have a kid yet.

Experience number two is laughable to most. In fact, the only reason I’m writing about it is because it was another "first" for me. Otherwise, this would have been a no-comment event. So, what is it you ask? I over-filled the gas tank in my car. Yup. I tried to squeeze in the extra .50 cents and the gas just came flowing out... Doh! And yes, it was the first time in my life that I’ve done that, honestly!So, was that exciting for you? I guess it wasn’t all that exciting to me either. I don’t think I’ll look back at this point in my life and reflect on it. But, it does represent my new attitude on life, and that I am welcoming anything new and different these days. Hopefully, you’ve found something new and exciting in your life too.

BEN

No comments: