Tuesday, April 24, 2012
New Year's Resolutions
Okay, so it's late April and I'm writing a post about New Year's Resolutions. You'll have to pretend it's January and it's 70 degrees out (at least, THIS winter...) I had two resolutions this year, both of which are centered around some "life changing" events.
1. My father has high cholesterol. My mother has high cholesterol. Therefore, I have high cholesterol. My doctor confirmed this during my yearly medical check-up. The numbers aren't so bad, 208 total cholesterol: something like 130 LDL, 60 HDL, and some other DL's thrown in there for good measure. It's not as though I was eating Big Mac's and Bloom'n Onions every night. Quite the opposite. I thought I ate healthy and took my diet seriously, trying to cook as many meals as I could, and staying away from fried foods when I do go out to dinner. But, apparently that wasn't good enough. I met with a Nutritionist and she recommended some minor changes that I'm hoping will make a big change in my Cholesterol Numbers. I won't go into my diet in this post. I'll save some of my more memorable meals for another post.
2. After spending 4 years here in Providence, I realized that I don't know sh*t about this city and state. I had heard about the great bars, phenomenal restaurants, and beautiful beaches and parks. Apparently, I hadn't been to any of them. My new subscription to Rhode Island Monthly Magazine confirmed this fact when they listed the 41 "must see" things in Rhode Island. I don't think I had done more than 5. So, I decided to do something new every week. What is "new", you ask? Well, that can vary. Maybe I'll check out a new restaurant, or I'll grab a beer at a different bar this week. Hell, I might even take a new backroad to work this week. I'm defining "new" as something different, something I've never done before. This includes biking or running a new route, eating something outside my comfort level, or even sampling a new beer. I'm excited about the opportunities in front of me, as there's a whole new state that I get to check out. (Yes, it's the smallest damn state, but it's all new to me...)
I hope you enjoy my new adventures here in Rhode Island. I'll try to update this as I check off some items from my Rhode Island "bucket list." Happy reading.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment