Saturday, September 4, 2010

Arthurs Seat 1, Ben 0

Much like David versus Goliath, today's race was all about the athletes versus Arthur's Seat. Personally, I wasn't racing against anyone but myself... that was until Arthur decided to throw us all a curve ball, or shall I say, 2100ft of climbing...

The race was full of previous World Champions, Ironmen and women, para-triathletes, and grandmothers that would put most of us to shame. But it was the intense and unrelenting climbing that would be our worst competitor. We all did 5 biking laps around the famous Arthur's Seat, with each 5mile lap containing approximately 450 vertical feet of climbing. It was grueling, it was challenging, and it was constant. There just wasn't any break from the elevation changes, and any chance to make up time on the downhills was thwarted by the tight and narrow roads around the park. Surprisingly, I was able to hit over 40mph on the downhills, but we all had to quickly brake into the corners before going headfirst in the Hay Bails. (Yes, they had hay bails setup for us...) After 3 loops of this I was ready for T2, but the climbing just kept coming. Other athletes mentioned that the course was about 10 minutes slower than your "normal" Worlds course. Based on my bike split, I would have said it was about 20 minutes slower. Here, begrudgingly, are my splits (from a very groggy memory...)

10k ~ 39:52
41.8k ~ 1:26
5k ~ 26:00
Total ~ 2:32

I know it seems almost impossible to actually "run" a 26 minute 5k. But, I didn't really run much of it. I had every possible body cramp I have ever experience. First my left quad tightened, then my left hamstring. Once those subsided, my right leg decided to join the party and cramp up as well. This time, my hamstring turned into a nice tight tennis ball, and left me unable to run for a good 2 minutes. I walked, Frankenstein-like, with a straight leg and a bellowing "errr!" Surprisingly, I wasn't the only one with cramping problems, as everyone I talked to was having the same issue. In fact, I've never seen that many people walking before. Certainly not at this level of competition...

Overall, my race was not one for the record books. In fact, I'd like to strike it completely from the record. But, I'm very happy the training I did for this race, the fact that I actually qualified for it, and all the people I've met from it. This experience has been unmatched by any sporting I've ever done. And last but not least I'd like to thank my lovely girlfriend Karen! She stood out there cheering her heart out and clanging that cow-bell! I hope she continues to support this silly racing habit of mine, and I hope someday to support her's as well. :)

The Race is over, and the rest of Scotland awaits. My first pint is right around the corner, and I can't wait to dive in. Thanks again, for everyone's support. Hope to see you all when we get back!

Ben

1 comment:

what i eat said...

congrats Ben. Keep the head up and enjoy those pints