So,I wrote this email to a friend of mine, and pasted it into this lovely blog format. She likes to argue politics, so I threw her a bone on this one. I won't post her reply, or the quick post-banter we had, but you'll get the point of where I'm coming from.
------------------
We're both financially responsible. We own (or owned) our own homes, which we could afford. We both have steady jobs and have worked hard and gained the education required to maintain these jobs. With these jobs, we have steady incomes. Our spending is within control, our expenses predictable, and we probably save money on a monthly basis. While we're not filthy rich and rolling in the dough, we both make enough money to survive and live by our means. We're what you might call, successful in life.
Over the past few days, the financial world has been turned upside down. Major companies are going bankrupt, and others are being bought out for pennies on the dollar. The Government now wants to step forward and put "Billions" of dollars into the market in order to solve this financial crisis, mostly caused by the housing industry. (Editors note: that number is now approximately $700 Billion, and I write this with my inverted pinky finger extended against the edge of my mouth...) The financial crisis that came about because people without jobs, people without any control on their expenses, people without common sense, spent more money than they had. They put their finances and trust into a sleazy mortgage broker, who was probably selling used cars the week prior, and now has them living in a home they can't afford.
The Gov't money for this bailout, is supposedly coming from Taxpayer dollars. The tax payers who have jobs, who work for a living, and presumably, have control over their expenses. Successful people who are paying taxes, that's who. That means, both YOU and I are paying for this Gov't bailout of the financial industry. YOU and I, who are comfortable in our lifestyle, and who have made all the correct decisions to be able to weather a crisis like this, are now being relied upon to pay for the damage made by people who can't afford their lifestyle. On my own I can donate to relief funds, I can pledge to telethons, I can support my local charities. But I have no say when it comes to the taxes I'm required to pay, and where the Gov't wants to spend my taxes. How the fuck does this make sense?
Financially Frustrated in Providence,
BEN
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment